Total Pageviews

Monday 17 December 2012

Evaluation Question 1 Script

Origianlly I had wrote this question as an essay but on advisment from my teacher I have decied instead to make into like a poster using Microsoft Publisher and add this essay too it:

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

The Research and planning that I completed for this project played a played a vital role in the success of the final video from how I had to be clear with how each individual step would be constructed to complete the video to the highest quality from which I could portray the genre and style of the band.

Originally I had listed Lego Monkeys as being an 'indie rock' band. I did this because I couldn't exactly work out to myself what genre it was and the band the song originates from Bombay Bicycle Club are considered to be highly Indie. Because of this it felt like I was just going to just use the convention of bookmarking the band. However, whilst filming the video it became clear to me that Lego Monkeys was not going to be an 'indie' band and brought elements of Rock and particuarly Pop in the video which could be considered developing the convention by creating its own genre rather then blindly following one.

In regard to video shots, I mostly tried to use Mid-shots when filming the band scenes since I looked to try and imitate shots done in the original video which I spent a lot of time watching. Particuarly with Danny's (Lead Singer) singing shots I often tried to straight copy as many fcators as possible such as angle of camera, movement of guitar and length of shot. An example of this is how I keep a very long shot going from 1:24 to 1:36 in the video because the original video gets away with it. This is a clear example of me doing my best to completly follow the media conventions in an atempt to make my video as authentic as possible.

As far costume is concerned, when thinking whether the costume matched an indie band I would say to some extent. One of the most obvious and key pieces of clothing in the video is Danny's 'rainbow' tie dye tshirt. This is from the brand Dope Chef which is fairly small in the UK and would therefore match the indie theme, this could be said for brands that other members of the band were wearing such as ONLY NY, Mishka, The Hundreds and Carhartt. For this reason altohugh there is not a set clothing style for being indie wearing less known brands would contribute to this so could be argued that again that I followed another convention.

When starting my digipak I researched other exsisting digipaks and particuarly CD covers. After only looking at artists I knew and liked I decided ont he theme of black and white and then looked for covers to adapt that used a band and black and white. I then adapted this specification to covers from Razorlight and The Crookes. I then mirrored some of the factors displayed on each for my own digipak. This could be seen as an example of following conventions so strictly that it is only doing exactly what has been done on other CDs

After my teacher had seen my draft for my video and digipak my teacher told me that some of the acting looked a bit stiff and staged. He advised to look at the work of Arctic Monkeys since they are renound for having unstaged, black and white shots which tied in both elements that I needed to look at. Despite not being much of a fan, I looked at their video 'R U Mine?' which is entirely in black and white and looked like it was just randomly filmed rather then planned which is the look that I wanted. I think when I came back to re-shoot it allowed the actors to loosen up since I was more confident about the direction I wanted it to take. This again is me just using the conventions that I had seen in a new video and trying to apply it to mine. It also made me briefly consider making my whole video black and white.

However, one of the main issues with my product working is how besides actors that are not really any other clear links to the ancillary texts that I completed. My digipak and advert tied in really well since they are made up of essentially the same elements and in black and white, but this leaves it hard to see how they all tie together as one brand. This could be considered going against the convention without meaning to since normally the 3 products are made to be ties together.

Overall, I think generally my video followed convention through replicating other video in certain elements which I think helps the authenticity of the video since it will make it more similar to a real video

No comments:

Post a Comment